A view into life during the Civil War via personal letters, documents and photographs detailing battles, homefront activities and the fight to end slavery in the United States.
Complementing the GAR material are items in the Harsh Research Collection’s Philip David Sang Collection pertaining to the African American experience during the Civil War era.
Digital CollectionsCollections include:
- Civil War: Wayne Whalen Digital Archive of the Grand Army of the Republic and Civil War Collections
- Camp equipment, weaponry and uniforms used on the homefront and the battlefield.
- Philip David Sang Collection
- The Philip David Sang Collection contains unpublished and published works and ephemera united by its focus on the struggle of Africans and African Americans through the Middle Passage to the Civil Rights movement. A number of documents in the collection were created during the Civil War.
More CPL Resources
- Finding Aids
- The descriptive inventories for other related archival collections.
- American Civil War Documents, Manuscripts, Letters and Diaries and Grand Army of the Republic Collection Finding Aid
- Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War, 1861-1865, Records Finding Aid
- Philip David Sang Collection Finding Aid
- Civil War blog posts
- Written by CPL librarians and staff.