Remembering Harold Washington
Mayor Harold Washington, the first African American mayor of Chicago, transformed the city during his years in office (1983-1987).
Chicago Public Library also holds an extensive Harold Washington Reseach Collection. Selections from those collections can be found in the Finding Aids section below.Photographs in the Remembering Harold Washington exhibit are housed in the Special Collections and Preservation Division at Harold Washington Library Center.
More CPL Resources
- Finding Aids
- The descriptive inventories for other related archival collections.
- Brenetta Howell Barrett Papers Finding Aid
- Barrett served in the mayoral administrations of Harold Washington and Eugene Sawyer. She was a political activist for housing, environmental and civil liberties issues.
- Harold Washington Blog Posts
- Written by CPL librarians and staff.
- Mayor Harold Washington Biography
- Information about Mayor Harold Washington’s education, military service, career and selected accomplishments.
- Municipal Reference Collection
- Collections include local government publications, city election results, maps, municipal ordinances and more.